Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pit Stops

Despite all the negative consequences of quitting my job, living off savings, and diving into the ocean with only a balloon to use for air, I'm excited. What lies ahead? What will I see, experience, eat, dream?

This is my road map and the route that I'll be taking in the near future. Along the way are some of the most historic and most culture-rich cities this side of the continental United States. And you're damn right I'm going to savor these little nuggets along the way.

Just some of the major stops along the way:

Pensacola, FL
New Orleans, LA
Houston, TX
Austin, TX
San Antonio, TX
El Paso, TX(This state just never ends...)
Las Cruces, NM
Tucson, AZ
Phoenix, AZ
Los Angeles, CA

But you know, a road trip isn't a road trip without detours. "The Thing" in Arizona, Shield's Date Farm in Indio, CA, the Titan Missile Museum in Tucson, AZ, etc...There's just so many things that this country has to offer to those who can just take the time to explore.

I'll admit, I'm a bit of a foodie and sometimes snobbish when it comes to ethnic food. I want to sample a bit of everything that's local. And I'm dying to taste a good Po Boy from Domilise's Bar in N'Awlins. I want to have a green corn tamale from New Mexico not nachos from the Chilis next door. I crave the best damn barbecued pork and brisket in Texas. I want to taste the culture that has thrived there for hundreds of years, not the reassembled, rehydrated, reheated food of a chain restaurant. Give me what the locals are having.

When am I going to start this journey? Oh in a few weeks. So, right now it's all just prep stuff. Like, where I'm going to sleep, where to stop, where to eat, where to avoid the road pirates who may be disgruntled laid off employees looking for out-of-towners to run off the road so they can steal their monies....that kind of thing.

Til then.

No comments:

Post a Comment